From the Gazetteer for Scotland:
- "The burgh of Langholm in Dumfries and Galloway is located at the confluence of the River Esk and Ewes Water, 30 miles (48 km) east of Dumfries. Known as the 'Muckle Toon', James II defeated the Douglases here in 1455 and a burgh was created in 1621. The grid-iron pattern on the west side of the Esk was laid out in 1778 when the Duke of Buccleuch founded the 'New Town' of New Langholm. The town became a regional wool centre with several mills in production from the mid 19th Century onwards. Its industries have also included cotton manufacture, brewing and distilling."
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Refer to the parish of Langholm