Place:Langford, Oxfordshire, England

TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.726°N 1.643°W
Located inOxfordshire, England     (1844 - )
Also located inBerkshire, England     (1300 - 1844)
See alsoBampton Hundred, Oxfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was part located
Faringdon Hundred, Berkshire, Englandhundred in which it was part located
Witney Rural, Oxfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
West Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, Englandadministrative district in which it was located after 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Langford is a village and civil parish in West Oxfordshire, about 3 miles (5 km) northeast of Lechlade in neighbouring Gloucestershire. The 2011 UK census recorded the parish's population as 349.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Langford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LANGFORD, a village, a tything, and a parish in the [registration] district of Faringdon and county of Oxford. The village stands 2 miles from the boundary with Gloucestershire, 2½ from that with Berks, 3¼ NE of Lechlade, and 5½ NW by N of Faringdon [railway] station; and has a post-office under Lechlade, by Swindon. The tything comprises 2,210 acres. Real property: £3,044. Population: 449. Houses: 105. The parish contains also the tything of Little Faringdon, the township of Grafton, and the hamlet of Radcot. Acres: 4,200. Real property: £6,448. Population: 701. Houses: 166. Most of the property belongs to Lord De Manley and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Langford House is Lord de Manley's seat. Grafton Manor belongs to Mrs. Wainewright. The river Isis runs on the S boundary, and is crossed there by a bridge of the 13th century. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value: £300. Patron: the Rev. F. G. Lemann. The church is ancient, and has an early Norman tower. Little Faringdon was recently made a separate benefice. Value: £150. Patron: the Bishop of Oxford. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, and charities £18."

A Vision of Britain through Time states that the parish was located part in Oxfordshire and part in Berkshire. This is indicated by its being part of two different hundreds. The county border was redrawn in 1844 so that all of Langford was in Oxfordshire. Until 1866 the parish included Little Faringdon, Grafton and Radcot, all of which became civil parishes in Oxfordshire in that year.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Langford, Oxfordshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.