Place:Langdon Hills, Essex, England

Watchers
NameLangdon Hills
Alt namesLangdon-Hillssource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.567°N 0.417°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoOrsett Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Thurrock, Essex, Englandurban district in which it was located 1936-1974
Thurrock (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality/unitary authority in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Langdon Hills is now a township located in the Basildon District of Essex, England. It is contiguous with the Basildon continuous urban area.

It is located south of Laindon railway station on the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. It is the location of the 400-acre (1.6 km2) Langdon Hills Country Park, which is in the unitary authority of Thurrock. In 1767, Arthur Young commented on the view from Langdon Hills

"…near Horndon, on the summit of a vast hill, one of the most astonishing prospects to be beheld, breaks almost at once upon one of the dark lanes. Such a prodigious valley, everywhere painted with the finest verdure, and intersected with numberless hedges and woods, appears beneath you, that it is past description; the Thames winding thro’ it, full of ships and bounded by the hills of Kent. Nothing can exceed it…" (Source:Arthur Young, A Six Weeks' Tour through the Southern Counties of England and Wales)

North of the railway station and line, in Basildon district, is Laindon. Laindon and Langdon Hills are part of the Basildon post town.

Until its abolition in 1936, Langdon Hills was a civil parish, part of the Orsett Rural District. In 1936, it became part of the Thurrock Urban District. The area covered by the traditional parish of Langdon Hills is in the Unitary Authority of Thurrock.

In 1931 it covered an area of 1,816 acres (7.35 km2) and had a population of 2,103. 100 years earlier, in 1831, the population was 224 and the area covered was 1,850 acres (7.5 km2).

Research Tips

  • The Thurrock Local History Society provides an Ordnance Survey map which illustrates the area of Essex covered by Thurrock. Unfortunately the area of the Langdon Hills above the A13 has been cut off on the map.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Langdon Hills. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.