Place:Lanús, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Watchers


NameLanús
Alt namesCuatro de Juniosource: Encyclopædia Britannica (1988) VII, 153
Lanússource: Getty Vocabulary Program
TypeCity
Coordinates34.717°S 58.4°W
Located inBuenos Aires, Argentina
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Lanús is the capital of Lanús Partido, Buenos Aires Province in Argentina. It lies just south of the capital city Buenos Aires, in the Greater Buenos Aires metropolitan area. The city has a population of 212,152, and the Partido de Lanús has a total population of 453,500.


A major industrial centre, it is served by freight and passenger railway lines. The city has chemical, armaments, textiles, paper, leather and rubber goods, wire, apparel, oils and lubricants industries, as well as tanneries, vegetable and fruit canneries. Several technical schools are located in the city, as well as the Eva Perón Medical Center, one of the largest in the Greater Buenos Aires area.

The city has a football club, Club Atlético Lanús currently playing in the Argentine Primera División. Club Atlético Lanús also has a basketball team.

Guillermo Gaebeler initiated the town's development, designing its first city master plan. Gaebeler established the town as Villa General Paz on October 20, 1888, and named its first streets and plazas after the numerous battles won by General José María Paz in the Argentine Civil Wars of the mid-19th century. Lanús was named in honor of Anacarsis Lanús, who owned the land where the city is today located until his death in 1888, in 1955.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lanús. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.