Place:Lake Forest Park, King, Washington, United States

Watchers


NameLake Forest Park
TypeCity
Coordinates47.757°N 122.29°W
Located inKing, Washington, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Lake Forest Park is a city in King County, Washington, United States, just north of Seattle. A bedroom community by design, most of the city consists of single-family housing on medium to large-sized lots. Less than 4% of the city land is zoned commercial; most of that is in one location, and there are no industrial areas.

Lake Forest Park is situated along the shore of Lake Washington, and includes parks and nature preserves, convenient access to the Burke-Gilman Trail, a summertime farmer's market, and a large new and used bookstore / food court holding frequent musical events. The population was 12,598 at the 2010 census.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Lake Forest Park was founded in 1912 by Ole Hanson as one of the Seattle area's first planned communities. Envisioned as a picturesque retreat for professionals, the developers planned roads and lots in strict consideration for natural landmarks. The original prospectus for lot sales declared:
...the strict fiat has gone forth that all the natural beauty must be preserved; that no tree must unwittingly be cut down; that the natural wild flowers must remain; that the streams, the springs, the lake front, the nodding willows, the stately cedar, the majestic fir, the quivering cypress and the homelike maple and all the flora and fauna with which Nature has blessed this lakeshore, must not be defiled by the hand of man.

Until 1914 and completion of the Red Brick Road (now Bothell Way, part of State Route 522) to nearby Kenmore and Bothell, it also marked the literal end of improved roads heading north from Seattle, with the best access to points further north and east being by boat across Lake Washington or the Seattle, Lake Shore and Eastern Railway.

Lake Forest Park officially incorporated on June 20, 1961, in large part to help maintain its specific identity. The town remained small - under 5,000 in population - until the 1990s, when a series of annexations expanded city borders significantly and more than doubled the official population.

The 3/4 acre Lyon Creek Park was created in the late 1990s on land purchased by the city in 1998, to provide public access to Lake Washington. For the prior fifty years, the lot had belonged to Marcia and Robert Morris, who had built a modernist home and a horse stable on the property. Both buildings were torn down as part of the park conversion, which also included replanting the park with 5,000 native shrubs and plants. The replanting portion of the project involved the labor of hundreds of citizen volunteers.

Lake Forest Park Towne Centre, the city's commercial core, was built in 1964 and hugs Bothell Way, not far from the lakeshore. In late 2005, city government began holding public meetings to discuss the future of the town center. The decision was made to renovate Lake Forest Park Towne Centre and it now spans 18 acres and offers many shopping and dining options along with entertainment.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lake Forest Park, Washington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.