Lake Elsinore or LE is a city in western Riverside County, California. The population was 51,821 at the 2010 census. It is the home of the Lake Elsinore Storm baseball club of the California League which plays at the Lake Elsinore Diamond.
Native Americans have long lived in the area. The Luiseño were the earliest known inhabitants. Their pictographs can be found on rocks on the Santa Ana Mountains and in Temescal Valley and artifacts have been found all around Lake Elsinore and in the local canyons and hills.
Overlooked by the expedition of Juan Bautista de Anza, the largest natural lake in Southern California, was first seen by the Spanish Franciscan padre Juan Santiago, exploring eastward from the Mission San Juan Capistrano in 1797. In 1810, the water level of the Laguna Grande was first described by a traveler as being little more than a swamp about a mile long. Later in the early 19th century the lake grew larger, providing a spot for Mexican rancheros, American trappers, the expedition of John C. Frémont and the immigrants during the California Gold Rush to camp and water their animals as they traveled along the southern shore of the lake on what later became the Southern Immigrant Trail and the route of the Butterfield Overland Mail.
On January 7, 1844, Julian Manriquez acquired the land grant to Rancho La Laguna, a tract of almost which included the lake and an adobe being built near the lake on its south shore at its western corner that was described by Benjamin Ignatius Hayes who stayed there overnight January 27, 1850.
In 1851, Abel Stearns acquired the rancho and sold it in 1858 to Augustin Machado. Augustin Machado built a seven room adobe ranch house and an outbuilding on the southwest side of the lake. Soon after, Rancho La Laguna became a regular stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail route between Temecula to the south and the Temescal station to the north. Over the years a framed addition and a second story were added and it was used as a post office for the small settlement of Willard around the start of the 20th century. The buildings stood until they were razed in 1964, at what is now 32912 Macy Street. Today, three palm trees still grow in front of the site along Macy Street in front of the property.
As a result of the Great Flood of 1862, the level of the lake was very high and the Union Army created a post at the lake to graze and water their horses. In the great 1862-65 drought, most of the cattle in Southern California died and the lake level fell, especially during 1866 and 1867, when practically no rain fell. However, the lake was full again in 1872 when it overflowed down its outlet through Temescal Canyon.
While most of the old Californio families lost their Ranchos during the great drought, the La Laguna Rancho remained in the hands of the Machado family until 1873 when most of it was sold to an Englishman Charles A. Sumner. Juan Machado retained on the northwest corner of the lake where his adobe still stands near the lake at 15410 Grand Avenue.
After 1872 the lake again evaporated to a very low level, but the great rains in the winter of 1883-84 filled it to overflowing in three weeks. Descriptions of the lake at this time say that large willow trees surrounding the former low water shore line stood or more below the high-water level and were of such size that they must have been thirty or more years old. This indicated that the high water of the 1860s and 1870s must have been of a very short duration.
On October 5, 1883, Franklin H. Heald and his partners Donald Graham and William Collier bought the remaining rancho intending to start a new town. In 1884 the California Southern Railroad built a line from Colton through the Cañon de Rio San Jacinto (now Railroad Canyon) to link with San Diego and a rail station La Laguna appeared near the corner of what is now Mission Trail Road and Diamond Drive. On April 9, 1888, Lake Elsinore became the 73rd city to be incorporated in California, just 33 years after California became a state of the union. Originally Lake Elsinore became a city in San Diego County and later part of Riverside County upon its creation in 1893. It was named Elsinore after the Danish city in Shakespeare's "Hamlet", which is now its sister city.
Lake Elsinore was a popular destination in the first half of the 1900s for celebrities to escape the urban Hollywood scene. Many of their homes still stand on the hills surrounding the lake, including Aimee's Castle, a unique Moorish styled house built by Aimee Semple McPherson. Also actor Bela Lugosi, known for his lead role in Universal Pictures' film, Dracula, built a home that still exists in the city's Country Club Heights district. The lake also hosted teams for Olympic training and high speed boat racing in the 1920s. The lake went dry in the mid 1930s but refilled by 1938.
The lake ran dry during most of the 1950s and was refilled in the early 1960s. Despite its relatively small African-American population, it has the distinction of electing the first black mayor in the state of California. Tom Yarborough was elected in 1966, three years before Douglas Dollarhide became the mayor of Compton. More than a week of heavy rains in 1980 flooded the lake, destroying surrounding homes and businesses. Since then there has been a multi-million dollar project put into place to maintain the water supply at a consistent level allowing for homes to be built close to the lake. Overflow water in the Lake spills out via Aberhill Creek, a tributary of Temescal Creek. In 2007 there was an aeration system added to help with the lake's ecosystem.
Rapid population growth in the mid 2000s altered the appearance and image of Lake Elsinore from a small lakeside town of 3,800 people in 1976 to a bedroom community of upper middle-class professionals. The city was ranked as the 12th fastest growing city in California between 2000 and 2008. There are now over 51,821 residents as of the 2010 census and formerly open hillsides have been converted into housing tracts.