- Inhabited place
- Englewood ( 1831 - 1889 )
Between 1850 and 1889 Lake Township was an independent political entity south of 39th Street, west of State Street, east of Crawford Avenue, and north of 87th Street in Chicago, and home of the Union Stock Yard between 1870 and 1880. It was annexed to Chicago in 1889. [From The Encyclopedia of Chicago, with original source from
Keating, Ann Durkin. Building Chicago: Suburban Developers and the Creation of a Divided Metropolis. 1988.]
Today, what was once the town of Lake includes the neighborhood of Englewood.
[See also: Englewood, Englewood.]
During the 1880s and 1890s, as the Dutch community in the Near West Side of Chicago began to feel pressured by immigration from other areas of Europe, many of them moved Englewood, or "The Town of Lake" in Chicago, as it was shown on the 1900 U.S. Census.
- source: Family History Library Catalog