|Alt names||Copt Heath||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Warwickshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||West Midlands, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Hampton in Arden, Warwickshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Hemlingford Hundred, Warwickshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Solihull Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1932|
|Balsall, Warwickshire, England||civil parish which absorbed part of Knowle in 1932|
|Lapworth, Warwickshire, England||civil parish which absorbed part of Knowle in 1932|
|Solihull, Warwickshire, England||civil parish which absorbed part of Knowle in 1932|
|Solihull (metropolitan borough), West Midlands, England||metropolitan borough covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Knowle is a village situated 3 miles (5 km) east-southeast of the town of Solihull, West Midlands, England. It lies within the historic county boundaries of Warwickshire, and since 1974 it has been part of the Metropolitan Borough of Solihull within the county of the West Midlands. It lies a few miles from the modern Warwickshire border and has a population of around 11,000 residents.
Knowle still retains a considerable village charm, despite being on the outer edge of the West Midlands conurbation. It is contiguous to the south with the similar-sized village of Dorridge and Bentley Heath, both of which are mainly residential in nature. The district of Copt Heath is a suburb of Knowle.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Knowle was originally a township in the ancient parish of Hampton in Arden in the Hemlingford Hundred of Warwickshire.
It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Solihull Rural District. In 1932 the parish was abolished and the land was split between the parishes of Balsall, Lapworth, Solihull Urban. Since 1974 it has been in the Solihull Metropolitan Borough. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
Categories: Warwickshire, England | Knowle, Warwickshire, England | Hampton in Arden, Warwickshire, England | Hemlingford Hundred, Warwickshire, England | Solihull Rural, Warwickshire, England | Balsall, Warwickshire, England | Lapworth, Warwickshire, England | Solihull, Warwickshire, England | Solihull (metropolitan borough), West Midlands, England