|Name||Knapton (near Malton)|
|Alt names||East Knapton||source: hamlet in parish|
|West Knapton||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Wintringham, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||ancient parish in which it was situated|
|Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated 1894-1974|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Knapton (near Malton) is a village now in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England about 7 miles northeast of Malton.
Knapton was originally a township in the ancient parish of Wintringham in the Buckrose Wapentake of the East Riding of Yorkshire. Knapton was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Norton Rural District. In 1935 it was absorbed into the neighbouring civil parish of Scampston within the Norton Rural District.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire.
Since 1974 Knapton has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District.
Knapton is made up of two settlements: East and West Knapton. West Knapton is the larger of the two and can be found in Wikipedia. It should not be confused with Knapton (in Acomb) just outside of the city of York.
- GENUKI on Knapton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Knapton.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Wintringham provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Knapton (near Malton), East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Wintringham, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England