Place:Kirknewton, Northumberland, England

TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates55.567°N 2.14°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoGlendale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Glendale Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Coupland, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Kirknewton in 1955
Crookhouse, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Kirknewton in 1955
Greys Forest, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Kirknewton in 1955
Heathpool, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Kirknewton in 1955
Selbys Forest, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Kirknewton in 1955
West Newton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Kirknewton in 1955|
Yeavering, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Kirknewton in 1955
Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Kirknewton is a village in the north of the county of Northumberland, about 6 miles (10 km) from the town of Wooler and roughly the same distance to the Scottish Borders. The village lies in the valley of Glendale, which takes its name from the River Glen, whose source at the confluence of the Bowmont Water and the College Burn lies at the west end of the village. The population as taken at the 2011 UK census was less than 100. Details are maintained in the parish of Akeld.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kirknewton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"KIRKNEWTON, a township and a parish in Glendale [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Glen, under the Cheviots, near the railway from Scots-Gap to the Tweed, 3¾ miles E of the boundary with Scotland, and 5 WNW of Wooler. Acres: 2, 217. Population: 79. Houses: 15.
"The parish contains also the townships of Howtell, Kilham, Paston, Coldsmouth-with-Thompsons-Walls, Greys-Forest, Heathpool, West Newton, Crookhouse, Lanton, Yeavering, Coupland, Selbys-Forest, Akeld, and Milfield; the last of which has a post office under Alnwick. Acres: 37,976. Real property: £21,778. Population in 1851: 1,732; in 1861: 1,503. Houses: 291. The property is much divided. The surface includes much mountain pasture, and contains a fine variety of scenery.
"Coupland Castle is a Border tower, with additions of 1614; belonged to the ancient family of Coupland; passed to the Wallaces; and belongs now to M. T. Culley, Esq. Milfield was a residence of the Kings of Bernicia; was also the scene of a contest which preceded the battle of Flodden; and now has a handsome mansion, the seat of G. A. Grey, Esq. Yeavering was a residence of the Kings of Bernicia, prior to Milfield, or till the death of Edwin. Howtell has a fragment of an ancient Border tower, built into farmhouses. Lanton Hill is crowned with an obeliskal monument, erected by the late Sir W. Davidson. Vestiges of ancient camps and extensive earth works are on the hills; and various relics of the ancient Britons and the Romans have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £631. Patrons: the Marquis of Bute's Trustees. The church is very ancient; shows traces of Norman architecture; and was recently restored. There are chapels for Presbyterians, Independents, and Primitive Methodists at Milfield, and a national school at Kirknewton, and denominational schools at Milfield and Howtel."

Townships in Parish

Kirknewton was an ancient parish in the Glendale Ward of Northumberland, England which became a civil parish during the 19th century. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Glendale Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was expanded when the parishes of Coupland, Crookhouse, Greys Forest, Heathpool (sometimes Hethpool), Selbys Forest, West Newton and Yeavering were absorbed into it. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Kirknewton became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Kirknewton, Northumberland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.