|Alt names||Benridge in Kirkley||source: hamlet in parish|
|Cartermoor||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Ponteland, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Ponteland, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE:There is another place named Kirkley in Suffolk. Do not confuse the two.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kirkley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "KIRKLEY, a township in Ponteland parish, Northumberland; on the river Blyth, 6½ miles SSW of Morpeth. It contains the hamlets of Benridge and Cartermoor. Acres: 1,816. Population: 181. Houses: 33. The manor belonged to the Eures, -one of whom was a famous warden of the Marches in the time of Henry VIII.; and it passed, in the time of James I., to the Ogles. The house contains some interesting portraits and relics; and the park has an obelisk, erected on the centenary of the landing of William III., in commemoration of that event. There is a Presbyterian church."
Kirkley was a township in the ancient parish of Ponteland and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into the parish of Ponteland.
Wikipedia has an article on the Ogle family and other articles on prominent members of the family. Ogle parish is immediately north of Kirkley.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.