|Alt names||Heptone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 317|
|Type||Parish, Village, Urban district|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||West Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Huddersfield, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||borough in which it was located until 1974|
|Kirklees, West Yorkshire, England||metropolitan borough covering the area since 1974|
|Agbrigg and Morley Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was situated.|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Kirkheaton is a village north east of Huddersfield in Kirklees, West Yorkshire, England with a population of 4,209 together with Upper Heaton (UK census of 2001). Prior to 1974, it was part of the West Riding of Yorkshire where it was an urban district from 1894 until 1938 and part of the Borough of Huddersfield from 1938 until 1974.
GENUKI provides a description of the ecclesiastical parish of Kirkheaton from a gazetteer from the 1820s. It was in the Agbrigg division of the Agbrigg and Morley Wapentake.
- GENUKI on Kirkheaton. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Kirkheaton provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Kirkheaton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to four maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding North 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!