Place:Kirkheaton, Northumberland, England

TypeExtra parochial area, Civil parish
Coordinates55.092°N 1.978°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoTynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Capheaton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kirkheaton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"KIRKHEATON, a parish in Castle-Ward [registration] district, Northumberland; at the source of the river Blyth, 4 miles S of Scot's-Gap [railway] station, 4¾ E of Watling street, and 9½ NE by N of Hexham. Post town: Capheaton, under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres: 1,760. Population: 161. Houses: 32. Black Hill here commands an extensive view. Coal is worked; limestone and freestone are quarried; and there is a lime kiln. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £60. Patrons: Messrs. Berwick, Oraster, and Asken. The church was rebuilt in 1775. A yew tree, upwards of 600 years old, is in the churchyard. There is a national school."

A Vision of Britain through Time also states that Kirkheaton was an extra parochial area from the 1530s until 1753 when it became an ecclesiastical parish. It became a civil parish in 1858 and was part of the Castle Ward Rural District from 1894 until 1955 when it was absorbed into the parish of Capheaton.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.