- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Kirkhaugh is a very small village adjacent to the River South Tyne in Northumberland, England. The village lies close to the A689 road north of Alston, Cumbria.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kirkhaugh from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "KIRKHAUGH, a parish in Haltwhistle [registration] district, Northumberland; on the South Tyne river, the Maiden way, and the Alston railway, adjacent to Cumberland, 2 miles SSE of Slaggyford [railway] station, and 2½ NW by N of Alston. Post town, Alston, under Carlisle. Acres: 6,665. Real property: £1,472. Population: 223. Houses: 48. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Greenwich Hospital [London]. Much of the land is moor and mountain. Traces of a Roman station, occupying nearly 9 acres, and defended on the W side by ten breast works and trenches, are at Castle-Nook; and three Roman altars and fragments of a colossal statue have been found. Camden says that an inscription was erected here, and a palace built, in honour of the Emperor Antoninus, in 213, by the third cohort of the Nervii. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £70. Patron: R. W. Saunder, Esq. The church is good."
Kirkhaugh was originally an ancient parish in the Tynedale Ward of Northumberland, England. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 it was merged with the parish of Knaresdale to become the civil parish of Knarsdale with Kirkhaugh. Kirkhaugh does not appear to have had any townships. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.