A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kirkby cum Osgodby from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Kirkby cum Osgodby was both an ancient parish and a civil parish and continued as a civil parish in Caistor Rural District in the Lindsey part of Lincolnshire, England until 1936. In 1936 a new civil parish was formed containing the whole of the former parish plus the parishes of Kingerby and Usselby. This new parish was named "Osgodby" and is usually referred to as Osgodby (near Market Rasen). Source: (A Vision of Britain through Time)
The church at Kirkby, dedicated to Saint Andrew and dating from the early 13th century and 1790, is built of limestone and ironstone. The nave was rebuilt in 1825, and the church restored in 1891, 1900 and 1923. Source: (Wikipedia)
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.