Kirkburn is a small village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated about 3 miles (4.8 km) south-west of Driffield town centre and is on the A614 road. According to the 2011 UK census, Kirkburn parish had a population of 903, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 492.
Historically, Kirkburn was an ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Harthill. Kirkburn civil parish was formed in 1935 from the civil parishes of Kirkburn and Battleburn and Eastburn. It was located in Driffield Rural District. Changes to the arrangements of civil parishes have accompanied the alterations in the county structure to Humberside and back again (see below). The civil parish is now formed by the village of Kirkburn and the hamlets of Eastburn, Kelleythorpe and Southburn. (The Ordnance Survey Map of 1944, described below, illustrates the location of these small places very well.)
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.