|Alt names||Kirk-Merrington||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Merrington||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England ( - 1935)|
|See also||Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1829|
|Durham Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1929|
|Auckland Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1935|
|Spennymoor, Durham, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
|Merrington Lane, Durham, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Merrington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MERRINGTON, a village and a township in Auckland [registration] district, and a parish partly also in Durham and Stockton [registration] districts, Durhamshire. The village stands on an eminence, 1½ mile SSE of Spennymoor [railway] station, and 3¾ ENE of Bishop-Auckland; adjoins the ground on which the English forces encamped before the battle of Neville's Cross; commands a very extensive view, along the valley of the Wear, and to the hills of Yorkshire; is a large place; and has a post office, of the name of Kirk-Merrington, under Darlington.
- "The township comprises 1,934 acres. Real property: £3,331; of which £275 are in mines. Population in 1851: 504; in 1861: 926. Houses: 160.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Ferryhill, Chilton, and Hett. Acres: 8,024. Real property: £12,165; of which £4,172 are in mines, and £17 in quarries. Population in 1851: 2,673; in 1861: 4,046. Houses: 767. The property is much subdivided. Coal is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The old church was Norman, and of interesting character; and was the scene, in 1144, of a furious fray between W. Comyn, who had usurped the bishopric of Durham, and three barons of the bishopric palatinate. The present church was built in 1854, on the site of the old one and in imitation of it; is of oblong form, with a massive central tower 60 feet high; and retains the chancel screen of the old church. The churchyard contains an incised coffin-shaped stone, said to mark the grave of Hodge of Ferry, who slew the famous Brawn. The vicarage of Ferryhill is a separate benefice. There are a national school, and charities £19."
Merrington was an ancient parish in the Darlington Ward and, after 1829, of the Durham Ward of County Durham. It was made a civil parish in the 19th century and became part of the Auckland Rural District when it was formed in 1894. In 1935 the parish was abolished and the land divided between the newly created parishes of Spennymoor and Merrington Lane. Merrington Lane has since been absorbed into Spennymoor.
Townships in Parish
Categories: Durham, England | Merrington, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Durham Ward, Durham, England | Auckland Rural, Durham, England | Spennymoor, Durham, England | Merrington Lane, Durham, England