Place:Kirby Grindalythe, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameKirby Grindalythe
Alt namesKirby-Grindalythsource: Family History Library Catalog
High Mowthorpesource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates54.096°N 0.617°W
Located inEast Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoBuckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which the parish was located
Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which the parish was situated
Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, Englandadministrative district in which it is now located
Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog


Kirby Grindalythe was originally an ancient parish in Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced in England and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 both Kirby Grindalythe and its townships of Duggleby and Thirkleby (near Malton), became civil parishes. In 1894 they each became part of the Norton Rural District of the East Riding.

In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire. Since 1974 Kirby Grindalythe has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District.

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Kirby Grindalythe is situated about 8 miles (13 km) south-east of the large village of Malton. The present civil parish, which includes the former civil parish of Duggleby, had a population of 247 people living in 92 households at the time of the 2001 UK census. There is also a former hamlet of High Mowthorpe. The population at the 2011 UK census had risen to 295. The village of Kirby Grindalythe itself has a resident population of roughly fifty.

The name of the village is derived from Old Norse.

The church of St Andrew's at Kirby Grindalythe is on the Sykes Churches Trail having been restored by Sir Tatton Sykes in 1872–5 and again more recently after a grant of about £175,000 from English Heritage. The church is now a Grade II* listed building.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI on Kirby Grindalythe.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time on Kirby Grindalythe.
  • The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Kirby Grindalythe provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
  • For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
  • Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Kirby Grindalythe. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.