Established in the late 12th century (about 1190) as a royal burgh, Kintore had its royal charter renewed by King James IV in 1506. But the area has clearly been a popular settlement since prehistoric times. Recent archaeological excavations show neolithic remains dating as far back as far as 5,000 years BC.
Nearby are the remains of Hallforest Castle, former stronghold of the Earls of Kintore. Its Town House dates back to 1747. It is situated on the banks of the River Don.