- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Kingweston is a village and civil parish in the South Somerset District of Somerset, England, situated 3 miles (4.8 km) northeast of Somerton. The village had a population of 128 in the UK census of 2011.
After the Norman Conquest the manor was given to Eustance, Count of Bologne and held by his family until a descendant gave it to Bermondsey Abbey in 1114, who held the manor until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538. It then passed to the Smyth family of Long Ashton until it was bought in 1740 by Caleb Dickinson.
The parish was part of the hundred of Catsash and the Langport Rural District (1894-1974).
- The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
The Heritage Centre has an email address: email@example.com.
- Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
- Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
- Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
- Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s