NOTE: This is a brief article about the unitary authority named the Kingston upon Hull District which came into existence in 1974. There is another article entitled Hull which provides historical information on the city or borough at the heart of the new district.
In 1974 the City of Hull became Kingston upon Hull District, a non-metropolitan district of the newly created shire county of Humberside. At the same time the East Riding of Yorkshire was dissolved. Both events took place under the aegis of Local Government Act 1972.
Humberside (and its county council) was abolished on 1 April 1996 and Kingston-upon-Hull was made a unitary authority area, geographically within the modern county named the East Riding of Yorkshire, but with a separate governing authority. The single-tier local authority of the city is now Hull City Council (officially Kingston upon Hull City Council), with its headquarters in the Guildhall in the city centre.
The parishes of Drypool, Marfleet, Sculcoates, and most of Sutton parish, were absorbed within the borough of Hull in the 19th and 20th centuries. Much of their area has been built over, and socially and economically they have long been inseparable from the city. Only Sutton retained a recognisable village centre in the late 20th century, but on the south and east the advancing suburbs had already reached it. The four villages were, nevertheless, distinct communities, of a largely rural character, until their absorption in the borough—Drypool and Sculcoates in 1837, Marfleet in 1882, and Sutton in 1929. The current boundaries of the city are tightly drawn and exclude many of the metropolitan area's nearby villages, of which [[Place:Cottingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, England|Cottingham is the largest. The city is surrounded by the rural East Riding of Yorkshire.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Kingston upon Hull.