Kingsdown is a village immediately to the south of Walmer, itself south of Deal, on the English Channel coast of Kent. Parts of the village are built on or behind the shingle beach that runs north to Deal and beyond, while other parts are on the cliffs and hills inland. The main road through the village is the steep hill of Upper Street, on which are located The Black Pig butcher shop and delicatessen, a hairdresser, a newsagent/general store, and a post office, as well as the village hall and vicarage. The village has three pubs: The Kings Head on Upper Street, The Rising Sun at the foot of the cliff, and the Zetland Arms on the beach. On the chalk uplands to the south are the Walmer & Kingsdown golf course, the Kingsdown International Camping Centre, and a large expanse of open land that used to be a scout camp. Beyond that is National Trust land stretching to Dover. Kingsdown has a primary school, which was built in 1997 on Glen Road in upper Kingsdown. Prior to that the school was situated in Ringwould, and was founded around 1873. The village church of St John the Evangelist was built by local landowner William Curling in 1848. Curling's former residence, Kingsdown House, was acquired by the Brightstone Holiday Centre in 1934 and a holiday camp, now known as Kingsdown Holiday Park, has operated in the grounds up to the present day. Kingsdown House itself, an imposing building visible from the beach, has variously been the clubhouse for the camp, a restaurant, and is now split into private residences.