Kineton is about ten miles (16 km) from the towns of Banbury to the south-east, Warwick and Leamington Spa to the north, and Stratford-upon-Avon to the west. Nearby is the village of Wellesbourne with its historic water mill, Compton Verney House art gallery, the Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon, the Burton Dassett Hills country park and the battlefield of Edgehill. Kineton can also be considered to be part of the informal area of Banburyshire.
Kineton district council ward covers Gaydon, Lighthorne, Lighthorne Heath, Compton Verney, Combrook, Little Kineton and Chadshunt, a population of 4,228 according to the 2001 census. The village has some areas of light industry but is largely agricultural; many residents commute to nearby towns and cities for employment.
The first recorded reference to Kineton was in 969, when Saxon King Edgar granted some land here to a trusted counsellor.
The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Kington. On the outskirts of the village, at the foot of Pittern Hill, are the remains of the earthworks of a motte-and-bailey castle, known as King John's Castle, so called because it is believed that King John held a court leet there. Kineton gave its name to the area of south-east Warwickshire known as Kineton Hundred.
Early in the 13th century, Stephen de Segrave had a Tuesday market in his manor of Kineton, and a fair on the eve and day of St Peter and St Paul. The market died out by 1840, when the market house was pulled down and a school built on its site, but the fair on 5 February continued until recently.
For a period of the English Civil War, Kineton was looted by Prince Rupert with part of the Royalist army. This was after he had defeated Sir James Ramsay, from the Parliamentarians, and by doing this he failed to aid the rest of his army, thus leading to a neutral ending to the Battle of Edgehill on 23 October 1642. A year later, in July 1643, King Charles met with Queen Henrietta Maria at Kineton.