- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
Prior to 1975 when the old counties of Scotland disappeared and the country was divided into regions, Kilsyth was a parish in the southern part of Stirlingshire. In the second reorganization in 1996, Kilsyth became part of the unitary authority of North Lanarkshire.
The parish had an area of 20.6 sq. miles (53.5 sq. km) and was first established in 1619.