Place:Killingholme, Lincolnshire, England

Watchers
NameKillingholme
Alt namesNorth Killingholmesource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeArea
Coordinates53.632374°N 0.273886°W
Located inLincolnshire, England
See alsoNorth Killingholme, Lincolnshire, EnglandVillage located in Killingholme area
South Killingholme, Lincolnshire, EnglandVillage located in Killingholme area
Contained Places
Civil parish
North Killingholme
Inhabited place
North Killingholme
South Killingholme
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Killingholme is an area of Lincolnshire, comprising the villages of North Killingholme and South Killingholme. It is the site of two oil refineries, the Humber Refinery and Lindsey Oil Refinery, and an liquid petroleum gas storage facility (180 metres underground).

It is also a fast expanding port, handling RORO ferries from Belgium and Hoek van Holland, as well as car imports from mainland Europe and Korea. The United States Navy established a naval air station on 20 July 1918 to operate seaplanes during World War I. The base closed shortly after the First Armistice at Compiègne. It later became the home of No. 550 Squadron RAF, which flew Lancaster bombers from RAF North Killingholme airbase from early 1944 to October 1945. RAF 550 Squadron is credited with opening the D-day attack on 5 June 1944.

In the 1980s, the area was one of several proposed by the British Government's nuclear body NIREX as the site of a disposal facility for radioactive waste. This led to the village being featured in a sketch on the satirical ITV comedy Spitting Image in which 'government advisors' wanted to put such sites in places like "...Killing Homes, Killing Animals, Killing People". After widespread protests at all proposed sites NIREX did not proceed with any such development.

A pair of lighthouses on the riverside were built by Trinity House in the 1830s to provide leading lights (the high light was rebuilt 40 years later). A similar lighthouse was built at the same time across the river in Paull. In 1851 an additional low light was built to the north of the first one; this was later deactivated and is currently a private dwelling. The other two remain in use and are operated by the Port of Grimsby.

The name Killingholme is of Norse origin, reflecting the extensive Viking activity in the area, and still understandable in modern Norwegian."Killing" means "young goat", and "holme" means "small island".

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Killingholme. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!