Kilham is a hamlet and civil parish in the English county of Northumberland, located 8.0 miles (12.9 km) west of Wooler, 12.0 miles (19.3 km) east of Kelso, 17.0 miles (27.4 km) southwest of Berwick upon Tweed and 38.9 miles (62.6 km) northwest of Morpeth. The hamlet, which consists of a small group of agricultural dwellings, is overlooked by Kilham Hill and the northern limits of the Cheviot Hills. The parish had a population of 131 in the 2001 UK census, and included the hamlets of Howtel and Pawston, along with the former upland township of Coldsmouth and Thompsons Walls. The population fell to less than 100 at the 2011 UK census. Because it is such a small place, details are now included in the parish of Branxton.
Situated on the border with Scotland, Kilham had a turbulent history. It suffered from repeated Scottish incursions, and was often destroyed and laid waste. The situation was considered serious enough for a report to be made to the Privy Council of England, about a raid in 1597 which had resulted in the death of several villagers. In later, more peaceful times, the area developed into an agricultural backwater, which was gradually opened up by the construction of roads and railways.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Kilham. This is a very good article on the social history of the community.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kilham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Kilham was a township in the ancient parish of Kirknewton and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 the parish was part of Glendale Rural District. In 1955 it was enlarged by the abolition of the parishes of Howtel and Paston, and the former upland township of Coldsmouth and Thompsons Walls. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Kilham became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.