Place:Kibworth, Leicestershire, England

Watchers


NameKibworth
TypeVillage
Located inLeicestershire, England


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Kibworth is an area of the Harborough district of Leicestershire, England, that contains two civil parishes—the villages of Kibworth Beauchamp and Kibworth Harcourt . According to the 2001(2011) census, Kibworth Beauchamp has a population of 3,798(5433), and Kibworth Harcourt has a population of 990. The two villages are split by the A6. Kibworth is close to Foxton Locks, Market Harborough, and Leicester.

Kibworth has many shops, an award winning community newspaper (The Kibworth & District Chronicle), and since 2002 many new shops have appeared, including a new branch of Co-op UK. There were also many new houses built on the edge of the village, with plans for 610 more to be built by 2012. The local Cricket club won the ECB National Club Cricket Championship in 2004. There are clubs for golf, bowls and football, as well as dance schools in the village. The Bookshop opened on the High Street in 2009 won the regional award of Independent Bookseller of The Year in 2012.

In 1270, Walter de Merton, the founder of Merton College, Oxford, bought a large part of the parish of Kibworth Harcourt from Saer de Harcourt, who had been forced to sell the estate following his support for the unsuccessful "barons' rebellion" led by Simon de Montfort. A large part of the parish has remained property of Merton College, Oxford to the present day. There is a stained glass window depicting Walter de Merton in the bell tower of the parish church, St Wilfrid's, and the warden and scholars of the college are joint patrons with the Bishop of Leicester.

Kibworth Harcourt was the birthplace of the writer/reformer Anna Laetitia Barbauld (1743–1825) and John Aikin (1747–1822), who were siblings. Their father, John Aikin (1713–1780), kept a dissenting academy there and served as minister of a nearby Presbyterian chapel. The family moved in 1757 to Warrington.

On 23 July 1825 the ancient tower and spire of St Wilfrids collapsed.

The Midland Main Line runs through the area. Kibworth railway station, which served both villages, closed in 1968.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Kibworth. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.