Kexby is a small village and civil parish in the West Lindsey District of Lincolnshire, England. It lies at the side of the B1241 road, and is situated 4 miles (6 km) south-east of Gainsborough and 11 miles (18 km) north-west of the city and county town of Lincoln.
Although Kexby is a separate village and parish council, it is served by the church in Upton, its neighbouring village and parish council to the north. The church register in Upton, which include reports for Kexby, dates back to 1563. (Some of the source references use the title Upton cum Kexby.) However, there is evidence that the Church of All Saints (at Upton) dates back much further, with parts of the chancel walls believed to date back to before the Norman Conquest of 1066.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kexby from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
The parish boundaries have not changed in Kexby since the 19th century. The parish forms a long horizontal shape, stretching from Heaton's Wood in the east to Kexby Grange in the west. However, although Wilson's Gazetteer described it as being "a township in Upton parish"; today, this is not correct. In 1866 [Wikipedia in error here], the government passed an act concerning parishes, creaing 14,000 of them. We can only presume that this was when Kexby became independent from Upton parish. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
Occupational statistics are available for Kexby from the census of 1881 (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time). For men, the dominant employer was agriculture, with 53 working in this sector, over 60% of the male population at the time. For a small village, Kexby was well supplied, as the occupational statistics state that the village was home to a bakery, a butchers and a grocery store.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.