Kettleby is a hamlet located in northeastern King Township in the former York County (now York Region), in Ontario, Canada.
Kettleby was established no later than 1825, when Jacob Tool of Pennsylvania purchased in a wide ravine, including a stream. He built a sawmill powered by the stream's flow, but little other development occurred in the area. It was the industrious Septimus Tyrwhitt, who purchased of Tool's property in 1842, that spurred development of more mills and the eventual settlement of Kettleby. Early settlers often referred to it as Tyrwhitt's Mills, in honour of Tyrwhitt. However, he disapproved of the name, and his wife subsequently named the hamlet Kettleby, after the Tyrwhitt family ancestral home in Lincolnshire, England. That the name Kettle Bee derived from the construction bee of raising Tyrwhitt's mill, which drew many men from surrounding villages, is a local urban legend. Tyrwhitt was named reeve of King Township in 1852.
On August 6, 1851, the first post office was opened, and was styled Kettleby Mills, Canada West. In September 1859, it was renamed Kettleby, by which name it is still known today.
Kettleby had the largest membership in the Sons of Temperance society in Upper Canada, with over 200 members, and was "one of the strongholds of the temperance movement in the mid-19th century". Temperance Hall, a gathering place of the Sons of Temperance, was built in 1850. It was transported to Black Creek Pioneer Village in order to preserve it. The hamlet's first distillery preceded the movement by nearly a decade, having been erected in 1843, and numerous establishments throughout King were licenced to serve alcohol, including two hotels in Kettleby.
The primary source for basic documents (vital statistics, land records, wills) for people who lived in the Province of Ontario is the Archives of Ontario, 134 Ian Macdonald Blvd, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M7A 2C5.
Civil registration did not begin in the province until 1869. Before then there may be church records of baptisms and burials. For the most part these are still held by the denomination who recorded them. Copies of marriage records made pre-1869 had to be sent by individual clergymen to the registrar of the county in which the marriage took place. These marriage records are available through Ontario Archives, on micorfilm through LDS libraries, and on paid and unpaid websites, but because they were copied at the registrars' offices, they cannot be considered a primary source.
Vital Records after 1869
Birth, marriage and death registrations are not open to the public until a specific number of years after the event occurred. Births to 1914 are now available [October 2012]; dates for marriages and deaths are later. Birth and death registration was not universally carried out in the early years after its adoption. Deaths were more apt to be reported than births for several years. The more rural the area, the less likely it would be that these happenings were reported to the authorities.
Land Records and Wills
Information on how to access land records and wills is best sought on the Archives of Ontario website. An ancestor's land holding might be found on Canadian County Atlas Digital Project if he was in occupancy circa 1878.
Association for the Preservation of Ontario Land Registry Office Documents (APOLROD). A list of Land Registry Offices for all Counties of Ontario.
The original censuses are in the hands of Library and Archives Canada. All of the original census (1851-1911) images are online with the exception of that for 1861. Not all of them are indexed. Later censuses are not yet available. Census divisions were redrawn as the population increased and more land was inhabited.
E-books and Books