|Alt names||Kenyon Junction||source: John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Lancashire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Cheshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Winwick, Lancashire, England||ecclesiastical parish of which it was a part until 1866|
|Leigh Rural, Lancashire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1933|
|Golborne, Lancashire, England||urban district in which it was located 1933-1974|
|Warrington (metropolitan borough), Cheshire, England||district municipality in which Kenyon has been situated since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: A village 2 miles away is Newchurch, sometimes described as Newchurch-Kenyon, which may have merged with Kenyon over time, but all references keep them separate.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kenyon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "KENYON, a township in Winwick parish, Lancashire; on the Liverpool and Manchester railway, at the junction of the Bolton and Leigh railway, 2½ miles E by N of Newton-in-Mackerfield. It has a station at the [railway] junction, and a post office under Manchester: and it gives the title of baron to the family of Kenyon. Acres: 1,597. Real property: £2,419. Population: 274. Houses: 55. Bricks are made."
- the text following is based on an article in Wikipedia
Kenyon is now a village in the civil parish of Croft within Warrington, Cheshire, England. Until 1974 Croft was in the county of Lancashire. Kenyon has always been sparsely populated, in 1901 the population was 329.
Kenyon was originally a township in Winwick ecclesiastical parish and part of Lowton within the historic borders of Lancashire. It became part of Leigh Poor Law Union soon after 1837 and, in 1894, part of Leigh Rural District. In 1933 the civil parish became part of Golborne Urban District.
Golborne Urban District was dissolved in 1974 and its area divided, with the part including Kenyon becoming part of Warrington District in Cheshire.
Kenyon covers an area of 1,685 acres (6.82 km2). It is about 2½ miles from Newton-le-Willows (or Newton-in Makerfield), 13 miles (21 km) west of Manchester and 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Leigh. The underlying rock is sandstone with clay soil. The road between Culcheth and Lowton goes through the village. Kenyon was a centre for brickmaking.
Categories: Lancashire, England | Cheshire, England | Warrington (metropolitan borough), Cheshire, England | Golborne, Lancashire, England | Leigh Rural, Lancashire, England | Leigh, Lancashire, England | Winwick, Lancashire, England