|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Worcestershire, England (1931 - )|
|See also||Tewkesbury Hundred, Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Evesham Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1935-1974|
|Wychavon District, Worcestershire, England||municipal district of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Kemerton is a village and civil parish in Worcestershire in England. It lies at the extreme south of the county in the local government district of Wychavon. Until boundary changes in 1931, it formed part of neighbouring Gloucestershire, and it remains in the Diocese of Gloucester.
The parish is approximately 5.8 km (3.6 miles) long by 1.2 km (0.7 miles) wide, and encompasses approximately 6.738 square kilometres (1,665 acres). It descends from the summit of Bredon Hill in the north, (elevation 300 m / 981 ft) to the Carrant Brook in the south (elevation 20 m / 65 ft).
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Kemerton.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Kemerton, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Evesham Rural, Worcestershire, England | Wychavon District, Worcestershire, England