Place:Kellington, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Alt namesChelinctonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 317
Chelintunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 317
Chellinctonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 317
Ghelintunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 317
TypeParish, Village, Civil parish
Coordinates53.702°N 1.152°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inNorth Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoOsgoldcross Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which Kellington was located 1894-1974
Selby District, North Yorkshire, Englanddistrict in which Kellington has been located since 1974
Osgoldcross Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which it was situated.
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Kellington is a small village and civil parish in the Selby district of North Yorkshire, England, on the banks of the River Aire. Situated almost equidistant between the towns of Pontefract and Selby, the village dates back to at least the 11th century when it was listed in the Domesday Book (as Chelinctone). The semi-rural community grew in size with the advent of local mining as housing was built to accommodate the workers of nearby Kellingley Colliery.

Due to its location at the southernmost tip of North Yorkshire, the village is close to the borders of West, East and South Yorkshire. Its proximity to both the A19 and M62 major roads has resulted in a steady population growth, although to a lesser extent than its neighbour, Eggborough.

Prior to the nationwide reorganization of municipal boundaries in 1974, Kellington was located in Osgoldcross Rural District in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

GENUKI provides a description of the ecclesiastical parish of Kellington from a gazetteer from the 1820s. It was in the Osgoldcross Wapentake.

Research Tips