Kelleys Island is both a village in Erie County, Ohio, United States, and the island which it fully occupies in Lake Erie. Originally known as Island Number 6 and later Cunningham Island, it was renamed in 1840 for brothers Datus and Irad Kelley, who were largely responsible for cultivatating the island's quarrying, logging and winemaking industries.
Originally inhabited by Native Americans, Kelleys Island was used by the US Military as a rendezvous post during The War of 1812. During the early 19th century, several different groups made ill-fated attempts to harvest the island's limestone and lumber resources; none were successful until the Kelley brothers made their attempt in the 1830s. The population was 312 at the 2010 census.
Today, Kelleys Island is primarily a vacation destination, and sees thousands of visitors each summer. Notable attractions include its various beaches, parks, and campgrounds. Several ferries provide regular transport for most travelers; the island also features a number of marinas, as well as a small airfield for private planes. It is the largest of the American Lake Erie Islands, and is a part of the Sandusky, Ohio Metropolitan Statistical Area.