Place:Kaprijke, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Watchers


NameKaprijke
Alt namesCaprijkesource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeMunicipality
Coordinates51.217°N 3.617°E
Located inOost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Kaprijke is a municipality located in the Belgian province of East Flanders. The municipality comprises the towns of Kaprijke proper and Lembeke. On January 1, 2006 Kaprijke had a total population of 6,128. The total area is 33.71 km² which gives a population density of 182 inhabitants per km².

The name Kaprijke comes from Gallo-Roman name "Capricum" which means "Land of Caprius". That it used to be the site of a Roman garrison can still be seen at the square in front of the old town hall.

During the 14th and 15th century, the cloth industry flourished in Kaprijke. However, during the period of religious strife during the 16th century, the merchants and cloth makers withdrew to safer locations. Following the resolution of the problems, the merchants and weavers did not return, leading up to the decline of the city of Kaprijke into a rural village during the 17th and 18th centuries.

Kaprijke is known for its beautiful castle built in 1550, Hof ter Kruisen. It was commissioned by Andries of Baviere and finished in 1628.

In 1976, Kaprijke merged with another town called Lembeke, for a total population of around 6200 people.

Kaprijke is the birthplace of poet and playwright, Dr. Hippoliet van Peene. Van Peene is best known for writing the poem "The Flemish Lion" which came to be the Flemish anthem.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Kaprijke. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.