Place:Kandahar, Saskatchewan, Canada

Watchers


NameKandahar
TypeCommunity
Coordinates51.75°N 104.317°W
Located inSaskatchewan, Canada
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Kandahar is a small hamlet on Highway 16 near Wynyard, Saskatchewan, Canada, named by Canadian Pacific Railway executives in the late 19th century for a British military victory in Kandahar, Afghanistan. In 1925, Kandahar was listed as a Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. Station on the Minnedosa, Saskatoon, Edmonton Section, CPR. From 1910 to 1913, the spelling of the post office was Candahar. The hamlet is too small to be enumerated on its own, so its population belongs to the Rural Municipality of Big Quill No. 308

It is located near the south shore of Big Quill Lake, the largest inland body of salt water in Canada. Until the 1970s it was a thriving town with various stores and attractions, including a popular steak house. However, in the late 1980s the village's only school closed, and the population has steadily decreased since.

The one room school house was named Kandahar School District #3333.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Kandahar, Saskatchewan. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.