In 1810, Dr. Oliver Bigelow from Cayuga County, New York, purchased a 4,000-acre tract of land in Monroe Township from John Brown of Boone County, Kentucky, for the sum of $10,000. President John Adams had deeded the land to Brown for military service during the American Revolution. Dr. Bigelow planned to build a town, and after mapping streets, alleys, the town square, and a cemetery, named the village Johnstown. Bigelow was the community's first medical doctor and became the town's mayor. He died on November 5, 1818, and was buried in the Johnstown's Cemetery. Located in the southwest corner of the village, the cemetery became the final resting place for more than 300 early residents and the veterans of three wars. Their grave markers, though weathered by the seasons, serve as a reminder of their great contributions to the community and the nation.
Revolutionary War -- Elijah Adams; Oliver Bigelow, M.D.; Benjamin DeWolf; Caleb Hill; Abel Jewett; John Martin; Thomas Perkins; Moses Scovell, Esq.; and Peter Stevens
War of 1812 -- David Buxton; S.D. Grove; and Emanuel Hoover
Civil War -- J.O. Adams; L.S. Bell; A.E. Cady; Samuel A. DeWolf; John Cummins; Joseph Evans; Noah Green; Samuel Martindale; and Israel Scovell
(Source: Ohio Historical Marker)
W Coshocton Street, Johnstown, Ohio