The Village of Johnson City was established in the Town of Union, New York and is a part of the "Triple Cities" along with Endicott, New York and Binghamton, New York. Johnson City lies to the west of Binghamton at the eastern side of the Town of Union.
Known as the Square deal town, from the Square Deal given to all employees of Endicott-Johnson, Johnson City was originally incorporated in 1892 as the Village of Lestershire, In 1916, the village was renamed Johnson City in honor of George F. Johnson, who led the company that was by then known as the Endicott Johnson Corporation.
2009 Dissolution vote
In January 2007, a group of residents organized a petition supporting dissolution of the village for tax reasons. A vote was held on November 3, 2009. On November 12, 2009 the results came back "no" for dissolution by just 42 votes.