Place:James Cemetery, Jackson, Ohio, United States

Watchers


NameJames Cemetery
TypeCemetery
Located inJackson, Ohio, United States

This cemetery is being restored by the Jackson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society. The project won the 2007 Time Warner Cable & The History Channel "Save Our History" award in Ohio.

Background

From the Ohio Historical Marker: Major John James (1772-1854) established James Cemetery in 1828 on and around a Native American mound that is the only significant ancient mound remaining in the city of Jackson. The mound is about 70 feet in diameter and nearly six feet tall. In the late 1800s, this mound comprised one point of three ancient mound groups forming a triangular configuration along East Broadway Street, formerly known as James Street. One group was a few hundred feet northeast of here on the Watson farm and a second was just to the northwest on the Warnicke farm. These mounds were built by the Hopewell Culture, prominent in southern Ohio from about 100 BC to 400 AD. Major James, his wife, and several immediate family members are buried on the mound including Jackson County pioneers Andrew Long, Daniel Hoffman, and David Mitchell.

Resources