- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ixworth is a village and civil parish in the Borough or District of St. Edmundsbury in the English county of Suffolk. It is 6 miles (9.7 km) north-east of Bury St. Edmunds and 9 miles (14 km) south-east of Thetford on the A143 road to Diss. The parish had a population of 2,177 according to the census of 2001. The south end of High Street and town may also be historically listed as Ixworth St Mary.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Ixworth.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ixworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "IXWORTH, a village, a parish, and a [registration] sub-district in Thingoe district, Suffolk. The village stands on the river Thet, near Icknield street, 4 miles N of Thurston [railway] station, and 6½ NE of Bury-St. Edmunds; consists of two neat and well built streets; was once a market town; has a post office under Bury-St. Edmunds, and a police station; and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish comprises 2,248 acres. Real property: £4,939. Population: 1,074. Houses: 229. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Ixworth Abbey, belonged formerly to the Nortons, and belongs now to the Cartwrights. An Augustinian priory was founded here, about 1100, by Gilbert le Blund; and given, at the dissolution, to the Codingtons. Ixworth-Abbey is a handsome brick mansion, and includes some portions of the priory buildings. Several stone coffins, and other antiquities, have been exhumed from the grounds. Roman coins and other Roman relics also have been found. There are chalk pits. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value: £101. Patron: R. N. Cartwright, Esq.The church is good, has a tower, and contains a brass of 1567. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £65.
- "The [registration] sub-district contains also ten other parishes. Acres: 23,982. Population: 6,250. Houses: 1,369."