|Alt names||Tidrentune||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 115|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Avon, England (1974 - 1996)|
|Gloucestershire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Thornbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which part of the parish was located|
|Henbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which part of the parish was located|
|South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England||unitary authority of which it has been part since 1996|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Tytherington is a village located since 1996 in the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire, England. Previously it was located in Gloucestershire (until 1974) and then in the short-lived county of Avon.
The former Yate to Thornbury railway branch line passes nearby, with two bridges in the village. The line now ends at the quarry and is used for the transport of stone, but used to continue through a tunnel under the A38 to Thornbury. Tytherington had its own small station on the single track line: it opened in 1872 and closed to passengers in 1944.
To the north-east of the village stands Tytherington Hill, with views east to the Cotswold Edge, and to the north are Cutts Heath and Milbury Heath. To the south of Tytherington is the hamlet of Itchington which includes an old lime works, which is now at the centre of a small development of 18 new homes.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tytherington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TYTHERINGTON, a parish, with two tythings, in Thornbury district, Gloucester; 3½ miles W by S of Wickwar [railway] station. Post town, Thornbury, under Bristol. Acres: 2,100. Real property: £3,112. Population: 447. Houses: 92. The property is much subdivided. [Tytherington]] hills command an extensive view. There are remains of a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £300. Patron: G. M. Taswell, Esq. The church is ancient."
Thornbury (1837 - 1974)
Thornbury in Avon (1974 - 1981)
Bristol in Avon (1981 - 1996)
South Gloucestershire (1996 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Henbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Thornbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Avon, England | South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England | Thornbury Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Thornbury Registration District, Avon, England | Bristol Registration District, Avon, England | South Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Tytherington, Gloucestershire, England
Help fund new features!