Place:Isley-Walton, Leicestershire, England

TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.821°N 1.378°W
Located inLeicestershire, England     ( - 1936)
See alsoWest Goscote Hundred, Leicestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was included
Kegworth, Leicestershire, Englandancient parish in which it was a chapelry
Castle Donington Rural, Leicestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Isley cum Langley, Leicestershire, Englandparish into which it merged in 1936
North West Leicestershire District, Leicestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A History of Britain through Time provides the following description of Isley Walton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ISLEY-WALTON, a chapelry in Kegworth parish, Leicester; near the boundary with Derby[shire], 2 miles SW of Castle Donington, and 5 W by S of Kegworth [railway] station. Post town, Castle Donington, under Derby. Real property: £745. Population: 46. Houses: 8. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the rectory of Kegworth, in the diocese of Peterborough."

The Anglican parish church for Isley Walton is dedicated to Saint Nicholas and was built around the 13th century. It seats 500. The parish register dates from 1557. (Source: GENUKI)

In 1936 Isley Walton joined with the neighbouring parish of Langley Priory to become the civil parish of Isley cum Langley. Before and after this merger the area was part of the Castle Donington Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the non-metropolitan North West Leicestershire District of Leicestershire, England.

Research Tips

  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print. (Source: GENUKI)