Island Heights is a borough in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 1,673, reflecting a decline of 78 (-4.5%) from the 1,751 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 281 (+19.1%) from the 1,470 counted in the 1990 Census.
Island Heights was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on May 6, 1887, from portions of Dover Township (now Toms River Township), based on the results of a referendum held on November 18, 1886. The borough is a dry town where alcohol cannot be sold.
Island Heights takes its name from two sources: it originally was an island. It is situated by a steep bluff rising above the Toms River. It was originally known as Doctor Johnson's island, being included in the patent granted to him in 1680. In the century before the American Revolutionary War, it was known as Dillon's Island, probably for James Dillon, a prominent man in Toms River. The land was purchased by John Imlay of Allentown, who sold it in 1794 to Issac Gulick. In 1797, Gulick and his wife Abagail sold it to Abraham and George Parker. In 1799, the Parker brothers sold it to Abel Middleton of Upper Freehold Township.