|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish, Suburb|
|Located in||Warwickshire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Worcestershire, England (1931 - 1998)|
|Hereford and Worcester, England (1974 - 1998)|
|Worcestershire, England (1998 - )|
|See also||Halfshire Hundred, Worcestershire, England||hundred in which it was part located|
|Barlichway Hundred, Warwickshire, England||hundred in which it was part located|
|Alcester Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1931|
|Redditch, Worcestershire, England||urban district of which it was a part 1931-1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ipsley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "IPSLEY, a parish in Alcester [registration] district, Warwick[shire]; on the river Arrow and the Redditch railway, contiguous to Worcestershire, 1¾ mile SE by E of Redditch railway station. It contains Headless Cross village, and part of Redditch town, each of which has a post office under Bromsgrove; and contains also part of Crabs-Cross village. Acres: 2,514. Real property: £5, 601. Population in 1851: 1,099; in 1861: 1,127. Houses: 234. The property is chiefly divided between two. The manufacture of needles and fish hooks is carried on at Ipsley Mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £588. Patron: the Rev. Dolben. The church is very ancient; has an embattled tower; and contains some very old monuments of the Huband family. The rectory of Headless Cross is a separate benefice. A Roman Catholic chapel was recently erected on the border of the parish, at a cost of £6,000. W. S. Landor, Esq., the author of Imaginary Conversations was a resident."
Ipsley was originally an ancient parish in the Barlichway Hundred of Warwickshire, England, but it was also linked to Halfshire Hundred across the county border in Worcestershire. It was an ancient parish with no subsidiary chapelries or townships.
It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Alcester Rural District in Warwickshire. But in 1931 Ipsley became a part of urban district of Redditch in Worcestershire.
For more on the changes that have occurred in the Redditch area since 1931, see Redditch and the Redditch District.
Categories: Warwickshire, England | Ipsley, Warwickshire, England | Halfshire Hundred, Worcestershire, England | Barlichway Hundred, Warwickshire, England | Alcester Rural, Warwickshire, England | Redditch, Worcestershire, England | Worcestershire, England