Place:Inveresk (village), Midlothian, Scotland

NameInveresk (village)
TypeVillage
Coordinates55.9366°N 3.0468°W
Located inMidlothian, Scotland     ( - 1975)
See alsoLothian, Scotlandregional administration 1975-1996
East Lothian (council area), Scotlandunitary Council Area since 1996
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


Note: Inveresk was traditionally part of Midlothian (previously Edinburghshire), but in the reorganization of 1996, it was placed in East Lothian.

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Inveresk (Gaelic: Inbhir Easg) is a village in East Lothian, Scotland situated immediately to the south of Musselburgh. It forms one of the finest conservation areas in Scotland having been designated a conservation area since 1969. It is situated on slightly elevated ground on the north bank of a loop of the River Esk. This ridge of ground, 20 to 25 metres above sea level, was used by the Romans as the location for a fort in the second century AD.

The element "Inver", from the Gaelic inbhir, refers to the confluence of the river Esk with the Firth of Forth.

The village was formerly in the Midlothian parish of the same name and developed distinctly from the separate burgh of Musselburgh.

Inveresk is notable for its fine street of 17th- and 18th-century houses. Inveresk Lodge is now privately leased, but the adjacent Inveresk Lodge Garden belongs to the National Trust for Scotland, and its west facing gardens overlooking the river Esk are open to the public. This was formerly the mansion of James Wedderburn who had made his fortune as a slave-owning sugar plantation owner in Jamaica. When his son by one of his slaves, Robert Wedderburn, travelled to Inveresk to claim his kinship he was insultingly rejected by his father who gave him some small beer and a broken or bent sixpence. This experience turned Robert Wedderburn to radicalism.

Research Tips

The National Library of Scotland has a map from the First Ordnance Survey One-Inch to the Mile Maps of Scotland 1856-1891 that shows this area in the middle of the 19th century when it had a number of collieries. Many of the places cannot be found even on maps circa 1900.

Refer also to the parish of Inveresk.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Inveresk. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.