Place:Ingram, Northumberland, England

TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates55.442°N 1.977°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoCoquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Glendale Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Brandon, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Ingram in 1955
Branton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Ingram in 1955
Fawdon and Clinch, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Ingram in 1955
Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Ingram is now a small village in Northumberland, England. It is located in the Cheviots on the River Breamish, and on the edge of Northumberland National Park.

The village Church of England church is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels. At the UK census of 2011 the population of the parish was 119.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ingram from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"INGRAM, a township and a parish in Glendale [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Breamish, 4½ miles NW of Whittingham, and 11 W of Alnwick [railway] station; and bears the name of Ingram, Linhope, and Greenshawhill. Acres: 6,882. Population: 72. Houses: 10. The parish contains also the township of Reaveley, and that of Fawdon, Clinch, and Hartside; and its post town is Eglingham, under Alnwick. Acres: 11,304. Real property: £3,693. Population: 200. Houses: 32. The property is divided among a few. Reaveley Manor is a chief residence. Much of the land is moor and mountain. Traces of an ancient British town are at Linhope; and many camps and foundations of habitations are on Ingram Hill or Brough Law. The pier of a Roman bridge, on the Breamish, near the church, was discovered in 1859, in consequence of a change in the course of the river. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £462. Patron: L. I. H. Allgood, Esq. The church is ancient; comprises only part of the original edifice; was repaired in 1858; and has a tower."

Ingram was an ancient parish in the Glendale Ward which became the civil parish of Ingram Linhope and Greenshawhill in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Glendale Rural District. In 1955 the parish of Fawdon and Clinch was absorbed along with the parishes of Brandon and Branton. At the same time the enlarged civil parish took on the simplified name of Ingram. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Ingram became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Townships in parish

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ingram, Northumberland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.