In 1906 Indian Springs became a way station and watering place for the Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad. The original rail line ran along what is now known as Winston Road. The LV&T ceased operation in 1918.
George and Belle Lattimer owned a ranch where the Indian Springs casino is now located. In 1906, George was bitten by an insect (maybe a Brown Recluse) and Belle hitched the wagon to take him into the doctor. A 16 year old Paiute Indian boy named Coachie Siegmuller was left to watch the ranch. While they were gone Coachie saw another Paiute named Bill “Wild Bill” Williams approached the ranch. Wild Bill was known as a “Bad Indian” and Coachie was terrified of him. Williams was notorious for exploiting young Paiute men by hiring them out to local ranchers and then pocketing their wages. Williams was there that day to collect some of these wages. Finding no one home, Wild Bill stretched out on the porch and was soon fast asleep. Coachie felt he needed to defend the ranch and fetched a rifle from the kitchen. He silently crept up on Wild Bill and shot him in the head. He pled guilty to the murder and was sentenced to death. The Paiute reservation threatened to go to war over this and to keep the peace Coachie was sentenced three years in the Carson City prison. The Lattimers buried Wild Bill behind the ranch. Dogs kept digging him up so he was buried a few times before he stayed put.
The Air Field
Indian Springs Auxiliary Airfield also known as Indian Springs Field,was rapidly constructed in Nevada the month after the Pearl Harbor attack. Indian Springs was immediately entered into service as a training camp for Army Air Force B-25 air-to-air gunnery training, and as a divert field for Las Vegas Army Airfield. In 1947 Las Vegas AAF inactivated, and so did Indian Springs.
One year later, Indian Springs was reactivated as Indian Springs Air Force Base, with a new role as a new weapons systems and aircraft research and testing. Among these missions were support for nuclear arms testing at the Nevada Proving Grounds, high altitude balloon search and retrieval, new gunnery and rocketry systems, and testing of experimental aircraft. For a period of the 1950s and 1960s Indian Springs housed some of the most advanced aircraft and air weapons systems in the world.
In the 1960s Indian Springs was transferred to Tactical Air Wing and re-designated as Indian Springs Air Force Auxiliary Field. Indian Springs mission was focused on monitoring of Nellis range, and became the remote training site of the USAF Thunderbirds elite air demonstration squadron. The 1982 "Diamond Crash" caused the deaths of four Thunderbird pilots and hastened their transition from the T-38A Talon to the F-16C Fighting Falcon.
Indian Springs was renamed Creech Air Force Base in 2005, in honor of General Wilbur L. "Bill" Creech, former commander of Tactical Air Command. Also in the 2000s Creech AFB began to host the 432d Wing and 432d Air Expeditionary Wing, operating unmanned flying drones, and returning Creech to its history as a base of advanced special aircraft development. The base also hosts the operations of the 556th Test and Evaluation Squadron and 99th Ground Combat Training Squadron, The National Desert Warfare Center and those of the Air Force Reserve's 78th Reconnaissance Squadron, 91st RS, and Nevada Air National Guard's 232nd Operations Squadron.