Place:Ilmington, Warwickshire, England

Watchers
NameIlmington
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.09°N 1.693°W
Located inWarwickshire, England     (1894 - )
Also located inGloucestershire, England     ( - 1894)
See alsoKiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been located since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Ilmington is a village and civil parish about 3.5 miles (5.6 km) north-west of Shipston-on-Stour and 8 miles (13 km) south of Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire, England. Ilmington is the highest village in Warwickshire and is at the foot of the Ilmington Downs, the highest point in Warwickshire. It had a population of 734 in the UK census of 2001.

The Elizabethan poet Sir Thomas Overbury was born at Compton Scorpion Manor, just south of the village.

As Wilson describes in the quotation from his gazetteer as given below, Ilmington parish sat directly on the border between Gloucestershire and Warwickshire. The Gloucestershire portion was transferred to Warwickshire in 1894.

A 19th century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ilmington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ILMINGTON, a village in Warwickshire, and a parish partly also in Gloucestershire, all in the district of Shipston-on-Stour. The village stands 4 miles NW of Shipston-on-Stour, and 4½ NE of Campden [railway] station; and has a post office under Shipston-on-Stour. The parish contains also the hamlets of Lark-Stoke, Compton-Scorpion, and Foxcote. Acres: 4,000. Real property, of the [Warwickshire] portion: £5,113; of the [Gloucestershire] portion: £875. Population of the [Warwickshire] portion: 979; of the [Gloucestershire] portion: 21. Houses: 217 and 3. The property is much subdivided. Foxcote House is a chief residence. A strong chalybeate spring, formerly in considerable repute, is about ¼ of a mile from the village. The winding of silk, for mills at Campden and Blockley, is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £760. Patron: the Rev. J.Young. The church is ancient, in mixed architecture; and was repaired in 1859. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £58."

Lark-Stoke, Compton-Scorpion, and Foxcote are all re-directed here.

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ilmington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.