- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ilderton is a small village in Northumberland, England. It is located on the edge of the Northumberland National Park, between Lilburn in the east and Hedgehope Hill in the west. It had a population of 235 in the 2011 UK census.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ilderton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ILDERTON, a township and a parish in Glendale [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies under the Cheviots, 5 miles SSE of Wooler, and 12½ NW by W of Alnwick[railway] station. Population: 124. Houses: 22.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Roseden, Roddam, Middleton Hall, North Middleton, and South Middleton. Post town, Wooler, under Alnwick. Acres: 9, 670. Real property: £7,820. Population: 571. Houses: 102. The property is divided among a few. The manor anciently belonged to the Ildertons. Much of the surface is upland. Hedgehope mountain has an altitude of 2,347 feet. A Druidical circle of 10 stones is under Hedgehope; and an ancient camp is on Roseden Edge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £150. Patron: the Duke of Northumberland. The church is modern, and has a tower, part of which is ancient."
Townships in parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.