- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
The village of Idle and its outskirts make up a mainly residential suburban area in the city of Bradford, West Yorkshire, in England. The area is loosely bordered by the areas of Eccleshill, Wrose, Thackley and Greengates, in the north east of the city.
Historically, Idle was in the ecclesiastical parish of Calverley in the Morley Division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley. Idle was absorbed into the city of Bradford in 1899 after being an urban district since 1894.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Deighton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "IDLE, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in Bradford district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The Village stands on a declivity on the S side of Airedale, adjacent to the Leeds and Liverpool canal and to the river Aire, 3 miles N by E of Bradford; is large and irregularly built; carries on a very considerable woollen cloth manufacture; and has a post office under Leeds, and two annual cattle fairs. A railway from it to Bradford was authorised in 1866; and another from that line to Shipley, 2½ miles, in 1867.--The township contains also the village of Windhill, and the hamlets of Thackley, Thorpe-Green, Parkhill, Cross-Keys, Buckmill, and Wrose; and is in Calverley parish. Acres: 2,420. Real property: £21,003; of which £124 are in mines, and £2,480 in quarries. Pop. in 1851: 7,118; in 1861: 9,155. Houses: 2,056. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of the woollen cloth manufacture. The manor belongs to W. R. Stansfield, Esq. ...."
- GENUKI on Idle. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Calverley provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Idle.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to four maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding North 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.