Place:Idbury, Oxfordshire, England

Alt namesBowldsource: hamlet in parish
Bouldsource: Wikipedia spelling
Foscottsource: hamlet in parish
Foscotsource: Wikipedia spelling
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates51.881°N 1.661°W
Located inOxfordshire, England
See alsoChadlington Hundred, Oxfordshire, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Swinbrook, Oxfordshire, Englandparish in which it was a chapelry
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Idbury from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"IDBURY, a parish in Chipping-Norton [registration] district, Oxford; adjacent to Gloucestershire, 2½ miles SSW of Chipping-Norton Junction [railway] station, and 5½ N by W of Burford. It contains the hamlets of Bowld and Foscott; and its post town is Fifield, under Chipping-Norton. Acres: 1,370. Real property: £2,448. Population: 233. Houses: 46. The manor belongs to F. F. Turvell, Esq. There are vestiges of a large Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; and was annexed in 1865 to Fifield. The church is early English; was recently restored; and has a rich N door and a tower. Charities, £14."

Research Tips